Friday, April 22, 2011

Passover 2011

It's the middle of Passover and I've received phone calls this week from a few native Trentonians who have read the article in the New Jersey Jewish News and have been nice enough to reach out to me with more stories of Old Trenton.   

As I was sitting at the Seder Table with my family and friends on the first night, I got to thinking about the story of the Exodus of the Jews from Egypt and it, of course, led me to think about the Exodus of Jews from Trenton in the late 1950's and 1960's.  Not being a native, I had started my research with the misperception that it was the race riots of the mid-1960's that had led to the end of "Jewtown."   I learned, fairly quickly, that was not the case.    

I could write what I have learned, and in fact, I will, at some later date.  But as we come down the home stretch of eating matzah and trying to flush it out of our systems with prunes, apricots and other fruits :), I wanted to ask you, the readers of this blog to add comments and tell me how you and your family left Trenton.  When did you move out and under what circumstances?  

My goal here is to stimulate some discussions and do a little research.  I don't have the answers, you do.  Please share them with me and the community.  

We are up over 800 page views in a little more than a month.  If you haven't already, please add your e-mail address in the box at the bottom of the page.  After you confirm your subscription, you will receive a notification when additions are made to this blog.  

Happy Passover,

Ed


No comments:

Post a Comment