Tuesday, April 5, 2011

New Jersey Jewish News article about the Trenton Jewish Project now on-line

There is an article in the latest issue of the New Jersey Jewish News about the Trenton Jewish Project.

http://www.njjewishnews.com/article/pmb/project-aims-to-revive-interest-in-bygone-area

Matt Schuman was the reporter who wrote the article and he did a nice job.   I'd like to clear up a couple of things that the article mentions.   Most of the quotes attributed to me about "Waldman's Barbershop", Benny Hoch's (sic) and about Kohn's Bakery should actually be attributed to the people who I interviewed for the video that I am working on.   They were Mark Litowitz, Sylvia Schultz, Herm Finkle and Professor Michael Aaron Rockland.  The story about Kohn's is in the archives, but it is a story that is part of Professor Rockland's book.

I am not a Trenton native and would be considered by many a "greenhorn", moving here in 1996.  I have no first-hand knowledge of what Jewish Trenton was like in its hey-day.  I've been fascinated by the stories that have been told to me through the years and by the treasure trove of information that Ozzie and others in the community have saved.  My "immersion" in the archives is not really an immersion.  I've been to the archives three times.  I feel like I've dipped my toe into a pool of knowledge that would drown me if I allowed it.  I make no claims of being a Trentonian and all I know is what people have told me.

Here is a link to the first 7 minutes of video that I have edited.



.


This is a work in progress and I am looking for other stories about Jewish Trenton to include.  I am also looking for any pictures that might exist of the Waldmans and Benny Hock's.  I do hope to have other events at synagogues and temples in the area to amass more stories and pictures and spread the word that these pictures exist.

I look at myself as a catalyst more than anything.  Jewish Trenton was a vibrant community.  The only way to preserve the memories of what existed downtown is to capture those stories and save them, because anyone walking downtown today would never know that there was ever such a place.  The response so far indicates that there are a number of people who would like to work to make sure that the history is preserved.

Thanks to all of those who have sent e-mails.   Please click on the "follow" button on the right side of the page and let friends and relatives know what we are doing.

Thanks,


Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment